TMS, or transcranial magnetic stimulation, is a non-invasive and FDA-approved treatment option for depression. This treatment involves using magnetic fields to stimulate specific areas of the brain thought to be involved in mood regulation. Here are eight benefits of TMS therapy for depression:
- Mood improvement: TMS therapy has been proven to effectively elevate mood in individuals struggling with depression. An individual who once felt hopeless and lacked energy may observe a noticeable increase in positive mood and motivation after several weeks of TMS therapy.
- Increased motivation and energy: TMS therapy has the potential to boost motivation and energy levels in people with depression. For instance, a person who previously found it challenging to engage in daily tasks may discover they have increased energy and a newfound willingness to participate in activities after TMS therapy.
- Decreased anxiety: TMS therapy can also aid in reducing anxiety symptoms among individuals with depression. For example, a person who frequently suffered from panic attacks may find that their anxiety levels have significantly decreased after TMS therapy.
- Improved sleep: TMS therapy has been shown to improve sleep patterns in people with depression, leading to better rest and improved daily functioning. For instance, an individual who previously struggled with insomnia may experience easier falling asleep and more sound sleep after TMS therapy.
- Reduced symptoms of depression: TMS therapy has demonstrated the ability to effectively reduce symptoms of depression, including decreased feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and worthlessness. For instance, an individual who once felt hopeless and struggled with self-esteem may notice a significant decrease in their symptoms of depression after TMS therapy.
- Improved cognitive functioning: TMS therapy has been proven to enhance cognitive functioning in individuals with depression, including attention, memory, and executive function. For instance, a person who previously struggled with concentration may find they are able to focus more effectively and complete tasks more efficiently after TMS therapy.
- Enhanced brain activity: TMS therapy has been shown to increase brain activity in regions associated with depression, leading to improved mood and decreased symptoms. For example, a person who once struggled with low mood may notice increased brain activity in regions associated with positive mood and decreased activity in regions associated with depression after TMS therapy.
- Avoidance of medication side effects: TMS therapy provides a medication-free treatment option for depression, allowing individuals to sidestep the potential side effects associated with antidepressant medications, such as weight gain, sexual dysfunction, and nausea. For instance, a person who once struggled with side effects from antidepressant medication may find they can effectively manage their depression symptoms without medication after TMS therapy.
If you are looking for an effective and safe treatment option for depression, TMS may be right for you. Contact Alfredo H. Arellano PMHCNS-BC, Psychiatric-Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist, in El Paso, Texas, to learn more about this innovative treatment. Complete the form below and our TMS Cordinator will be in contact within 24-48 business hours